The Department is headed by Doctor of Social Communications, Professor Liubov Markivna Khavkina.
The Department’s faculty are:
- Doctor of Philology, Professor Ihor Leonidovych Mykhailyn;
- Doctor of Philology, Professor Svitlana Volodymyrivna Lomakovych;
- Candidate of Philology, Associate Professor Oksana Vasylivna Lavryk;
- Candidate of Philology, Associate Professor Maksym Anatoliiovych Balaklytskyi;
- Candidate of Philology, Associate Professor Yuliia Mykhailivna Snurnikova;
- Candidate of Philology, Associate Professor Tetiana Volodymyrivna Kazakova;
- Candidate of Social Communications, Associate Professor Tamila Oleksiivna Bondarenko;
- Candidate of Philology, Associate Professor Natalia Volodymyrivna Nechaieva;
- Candidate of Philology, Associate Professor Olha Serhiivna Khmel;
- Candidate of Philology, Senior Teacher Olha Oleksiivna Polumysna;
- Candidate of Technical Sciences, Associate Professor Anatolii Ivanovych Yarokh;
- Senior Teacher Olena Oleksandrivna Nerukh — editor-in-chief of the “Kharkiv University” newspaper;
- Senior Teacher Volodymyr Kostiantynovych Fomenko;
- Teacher Eleonora Olehivna Burdina – Head of the Educational TV Studio;
- Teacher Neonila Borysivna Kalashnyk;
- Teacher Inha Viacheslavivna Lobanova;
- Teacher Volodymyr Hryhorovych Revenko – Deputy Head of Kharkiv Regional Organization of the National Union of Journalists of Ukraine;
- Teacher Oleksandra Pavlivna Drachova, postgraduate;
- And senior department assistants Larysa Anatoliivna Kopylova and Neonila Borysivna Kalashnyk.
The Department of Journalism was founded in February 1996.
Within the “Journalism” major the Department provides the following courses: “The Basics of Journalism”, “History of Ukrainian Journalism”, “Foreign Journalism”, “Theory and History of Social Communications”, “Basics of Advertising”, “Public Relations”, “Journalistic Deontology”, “Literary Editing”, “Theory and Methodology of Journalistic Creativity”, “Journalistic Management”, “Economics and Mass Media Organization”, “Journalistic Investigation”, “Press Services and Information Agencies”, “Editor-in-Chief’s Job”, “Journalistic Education and Science” and other profession-oriented academic disciplines.
Since 2009 the Department has been issuing its scientific periodical “V .N. Karazin Kharkiv National University Bulletin. Series: Social Communications”.
The leading scientific problems the Department is working on are theory and history of social communications, history of Ukrainian journalism, history of foreign journalism, phenomenological and functional peculiarities of modern advertising, etc.
For more information, please, call +38 (057) 707-52-30 or turn to room ХІ-11, maidan Svobody, 4, Kharkiv, 61022