Web site: http://geo.karazin.ua
Today, the School has a considerable research and academic potential. Highly-qualified instructors ensure the educational process. Eighteen doctors of sciences, full professors, 28 PhDs, associate professors work at five departments of the School.
The School fruitfully cooperates with eight universities of far-abroad countries and with more than 20 higher educational institutions of Russia, Belarus, Moldova, and other CIS states. The School has signed student exchange agreements with the Universities of Manchester (Great Britain), Poznan (Poland), Suceava (Romania), and Assiut (Egypt), under which the best students are sent abroad for short-term training and internships. Likewise, it actively cooperates with TEZ TOUR travel company, which enables students to undertake an internship in Turkey (Antalya). The educational and in-the-job training takes place in the Carpathians, Kyiv, Lviv, Sumy, Zaporizhia, Poltava, Uman, the Transcarpathia, Kharkiv region, and abroad, particularly in Russia, Moldova, Belarus, and Turkey. The students participate in research work of the departments, thus complementing their theoretical and practical training with research skills.
The School graduates get job referrals to research institutes, geological and exploration, search agencies, planning and surveying organizations, enterprises, and companies engaged in foreign economic relations and planning of social and economic development; as well as to secondary and higher educational institutions to teach geography.
The School actively develops its student self-government, including the effective work of the School’s Student Research Society (as evidenced by the popularization of research activity and the increased number of students involved in research), the Student Council of the School (active participation in the University’s activities and organization of the School’s leisure), the Trade Union Committee of the School (students’ awareness of potential discounts on holidays, attending cultural institutions, and other benefits available).
In November 2014, the School changed its name to the School of Geology, Geography, Recreation and Tourism.
Five departments of the School provide training for students:
1. Department of Geology (research areas: morphology, microstructure, paleobiogeography, paleobiogeochemistry of invertebrates and MZ + KZ nannoplankton of Ukraine, CIS, and the world; scientific geological tourism);
2. Department of Mineralogy, Petrography and Mineral Resources (research areas: studying the geological structure, lithology, mineralogy, and geochemistry of coal-bearing formations of Ukraine, Russia, Poland, the Czech Republic, and studying the unique mineral formations in the Donbass coal deposits; studying the geological structure of oil and gas deposits and their development; studying the evaporite mineral deposits of Ukraine);
3. Department of Hydrogeology (research areas: studying the processes of groundwater formation, transformation of the chemical composition of underground hydrosphere, violation of its condition under the influence of anthropogenic factors, contamination of groundwater and its prevention, engineering protection of constructions and locations, control of underground hydrosphere condition);
4. Department of Physical Geography and Cartography (research areas: issues of continuous geographical education, tourist regional studies, development of scientific foundations of ecological and environmental, educational, and complex thematic mapping; geographic reclamation monitoring);
5. Department of Social and Economic Geography and Regional Studies (research areas: world economy and regional economy, distribution of productive forces and regional studies, excursion studies and recreational activities, studying Kharkiv region social aspect, theoretical, methodological, and applied aspects of sustainable development).
Dean’s Office phone: +380 (57) 707-53-71
Department of Hydrogeology:
Phone: +380 (57) 707-50-74
Fax: +380 (57) 707-54-59
Department of Geology
: Phone: +380 (57) 707-55-45
Department of Mineralogy, Petrography and Mineral Resources:
Phone: +380 (57) 707-55-38
Department of Social and Economic Geography and Regional Studies:
Phone: +38 (057) 707-54-86
Department of Physical Geography and Cartography:
Phone: +380 (57) 707-55-74